Discovering in Tamale

While our participants are out in their various language projects, John and I try to maintain a Discovery mindset even while we are mainly focused on office work and greeting our friends in Tamale. This year we were motivated to do something we have never done before: go to visit Tamale Central Prison. Our dear friend Daniel has had a passion for prison ministry for many, many years, but up until now, we have never gone with him. This year however, between staying in his home and wanting a better understanding of what some friends of ours had gone through after being incarcerated recently, I braved my fears and went with John (whom I had volunteered to go with Daniel the night before!)


Although I have written letters to prisoners in the past, I have never been in a prison in my home country before, so this was a very new experience to me. Daniel and another couple go regularly on Sunday mornings to lead one of the church services there, among other things. Although the vast majority of the prison was occupied by men, there was a small group of women that I was able to visit along with the other lady in our group.

Going to visit a prison is a vastly different experience to being held in one; I do not even begin to pretend that I know what it is like to be in that situation. Yet even visiting had a powerful impact on me. These two things stood out most:

• The incredible worship experience. Singing with 50 men as they danced joyously in a place they did not choose to be in was very moving; listening to the men’s choir sing an intricate, beautiful song with harmonies brought me to tears. It was the most beautiful worship I have participated in in Ghana in a long time.

• The strong feeling that these men and women are just like me! As I looked out on their faces…and later as I interacted with the 7 women prisoners who came to their separate church service, I was struck by how these brothers and sisters looked like my friends, not like mean and scary people. Granted, I only interacted with the prisoners who chose to come to church; I am sure there were some very rough people in that place. But the realization of how similar we are really unleashed compassion in me and a desire to encourage them and pray for them.

In closing, may I share a couple of prayer requests?

• For all those throughout the world who are incarcerated: for freedom and justice for those who are innocent… for courage and a strong awareness of God presence and working in their lives for both those who know Him and those who have yet to… for those who are far from God, that they would be healed and transformed by coming to know the love of God that can give them joy even in the midst of such hardship.

• For all our Discoverers; that they would stay fully engaged and present, finishing their final week well as well as for God’s hand of mercy and grace on them as they travel back to Tamale.

Thanks so much for your prayers!

Comments

Popular Posts