Biola University

Last week was the 86th annual Biola Students Missions Conference.  It is reported to be the largest student organized mission conference in the nation!  Wycliffe was there (along with many other organizations) to talk to interested students about their mission interests.


The first day of the conference is the best (for food).  There was a huge Ethiopian buffet set up on the lawn.  After I piled my plate with the offerings, I invited myself to sit on the grass with a large circle of the conference volunteers.  They were super friendly and gracious to my offer to increase the (age) diversity of their group.  As you can imagine, Ghana came up in conversation and it turns out the young man pictured has been to Northern Ghana and has an adopted brother named Wumpini (God's gift) from the same language as John's Dagomba name; Wumbe (God is there).  After hanging out with this crew for awhile... I have a great respect for the generation they represent!

During the 3 days on campus, I was able to meet up with Ben who went on Ghana Discovery with us.  He is now dating a Discovery alumnus from another trip and plans to start applying to Wycliffe later this year.  Diana (2014 S. Asia Discovery) also came by to talk with me... And many other students, professors and others.  One young lady introduced herself to me and was so excited that she had just been accepted for the Wycliffe Discover Papua New Guinea team.

I also had the opportunity to interview Julie for this year's Discover Benin team.  Welcome to the team Julie!

There is so much more to say about this conference... all the time spent in conversation with those genuinely interested in Bible translation.... it was exhilarating and exhausting at the same time...  

I will let the photos speak for themselves!

Wycliffe with Joni and Friends next door.

One of the students I talked to, was quoted in the Biola Chimes: "The fact that this school takes 3 days out of our schedule to focus on the Great Commission... It's special... It's not just a 3 day conference, it's something that's reaching far out to impact this world, and I want to be part of that." 





Pioneer Bible Translators was Wycliffe's next door neighbor... they were giving away frozen Otter Pops to anyone who wanted one:-)

Dedicated to Joy, a Biola student who passed away on a missions trip  







Comments

Popular Posts