"The Last Frontier of Bible Translation is Sign Language" -Samuel Chiang

This is from my journal...
Nigerian Sign Language community testing of Bible stories

screen shot from the Nigerian Sign Language Bible 

6 Nov.
After traveling approximately 33 hours door to door, I attended a very lively and at times Pentecostal Nigerian Presbyterian church service in Kadua. Even before that service ended, we walked to a nearby deaf church and greeted the Sign Language team who had just closed service. They reported that 12 people had been saved that very morning. After a late lunch I slept for almost 12 hours!





























7 Nov.

I arrive in time for the 2nd week of community testing of the Nigerian Sign language. The community is broken up into 2 testing groups, at most times there are 4-8 members in each group. During introductions, I am given a sign-name "J" made with my right pinkie finger swiping up from my chest. Each group has 2 consultants-in-training (CiT) to facilitate the groups…




















The process goes something like this for each Bible story tested:

A video introduction of the story is played and the group is asked to summarize the content, then the CiT asks some specific questions starting with: "Is this Nigerian Sign Language, do you understand it?" Yes, everyone responds. He then breaks the video into smaller chunks and plays each followed by more summaries and Q&A on comprehension, specific concepts and terms… at one point, they discuss the key term "Apostle" vs "Follower"… and the CIT sees a difference and a way to improve the translation… Then they video someone signing the improved translation terms to take back to the translators. 




Because the translation was done in Kenya, there has been some Kenyan influence and signs slipped in. During this community testing, the mistakes are being identified and the project editor is documenting the corrections on video. When the work resumes, the appropriate changes will be made. At the end of a section, the community is asked application questions, what is the story about? How can we apply it to our lives?

Over the 2 weeks of checking, 33 Bible stories need to be checked. Each week different community members are used so that a fresh perspective is maintained.

After lunch my first day of checking, I am feeling very jet-lag tired by 3pm… it's at least 90 degrees indoors and I struggle to stay engaged… I notice one of the checking ladies ask to move to a different seat because she is cold under the ceiling fan despite her jacket.

8 Nov.

This is my first ever exposure to a deaf community and I just started to learn a few signs. I can sign and understand "Good Morning, Thank you, amen, break-time"… and over the next few days, I learn "Well done and welcome" very important terminology in Nigeria. 

(this is a short video... I hope it shows up in the blog post)



Lastly, please pray for and rejoice with the  Nigerian deaf community on Saturday 3rd December as they dedicate the first 77 Bible stories which have been checked and are being launched on this day!   


..

Comments

Popular Posts