Teach us to number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom. Psalm 90:12





In my early 60's and in very good health, it has been pretty easy to deny the realities that may await John and myself in our 80's and 90's.  But this summer I feel like I have had a bit of an awakening.

My stepfather (don't you just love this picture of him as a child?) was moved rather suddenly and unexpectedly into an assisted living facility in July, so John and I drove to Tucson the beginning of August to help one of my sisters clean out his mobile home in order to begin the process of listing it for sale. For one week the three of us spent most of our waking hours sorting through and cleaning out the things that were important to my mom and stepfather over the years, most of which he no longer wants and are, it turns out, of little to no importance to anyone else. It really put into perspective for me just how transient so many things we value here on this earth are.

There was  also the reality of being face to face with my stepfathers frailty which had seemingly progressed so quickly since we had last visited him four months previously. It was sobering and I felt so badly for him.  Although his new residence is nice and his room holds his favorite chair along with some pictures and momentos of people he loves and places he has enjoyed, he would (understandably) much rather still be living in his previous home. To lose so much of your independence is hard, even when it is necessary.

As I pondered that my stepfather is only 26 years older than us, I realized in a way I never had before the shortness of even a long life and the difficulties that may come towards the end. I left with a renewed desire and prayer  to both number my days wisely -loving and serving people around me - as well as a renewed desire to be more aware of and  rejoice in the gift of each new day.

This has been a bit of a heavy post....so let me end it with this photo of one of my more fun filled moments while in Tucson, driving a gold cart for the first time.  (True confession; I had to ask John how to get it in motion; who knew that the forward and reverse mechanism were located under the seat?!?!?)

Comments

Popular Posts