African Street food journal

 


 I wanted something nice for lunch so decided to check either the Hilton Gardens next door or a fancy hotel across the street. I put extra cash in my pocket knowing it would be more expensive than eating at the guest house. I first checked Hilton and it was a slightly decrepit drinking spot with boring food. On the way to the hotel, the smoked grilled fish lady caught my eye. She had a nice big setup, she was also grilling yam and plantain. When I asked what other meat she had, she said Pomo which is cow skin; it isn't one of my favorites. Then I asked if she had beans. Yes! So I ordered plantain, beans and fish. She gave it to me in a takeaway box. Then, while I was ordering, another customer asked where I was from and said I should pay for mine in dollars. I said we were all "chopping Naira" and we continued to joke with each other. The man and his three work colleagues all sat down to eat so I told the chop-bar lady that I needed a spoon and I'd eat here. The friendly man made space between himself and his female work colleague for me to sit. He said "I like what you're doing" and asked me what I was doing for their Nigeria and we proceeded to take pictures and bonded while enjoying the wonderful tropical ambience, flavors and smells of Nigerian Street food. The lady sitting beside me said she worked in the Federal Agency for Women's Affairs.  

At one point the man commissions the Chop Bar lady to fetch minerals (pop, soda or coke, depending on your dialect) from down the street for all of us, proclaiming that he was buying a round for everyone currently eating. Then Mike, as I learned his name started to collectively and verbally reconstruct the complicated food and drink charges for the four work colleagues and me. I had already paid for my food although had not received my change yet. Mike instructed the lady to give my money back and we bid each other a goodbye! What a wonderful friendly experience this was! And I pause to wonder why people all over the world are prejudiced against Nigerians and are afraid to visit here! 

Make sure you check out this video. It's quite possible it won't show up in email versions of the blog post. 

 

  


 John's Street food journal Abuja Nigeria
 March 2018

Comments

Unknown said…
Street food? So often also comfort food. Learning about those around you at the same time? Good use of your lunch break. And causing them to know thy are not invisible to you is meaningful.

Popular Posts