Pandemic Travels

Note the empty airport train

It has been twenty months since I've been on a plane, let alone a twenty hour plane trip. 
 
What's changed, and what hasn't changed?  I'm sure this is relevant to life in general, not only travel... but it's obvious that the pandemic has accelerated the rate of change in our world. 

While purchasing tickets it seemed like there was plenty of flight choices and seats were not being bought up as used to happen at times throughout the year. I purchased tickets only 2 and a half weeks before travel and then found out that a Nigerian Government rule change (effective just before my departure) meant I wouldn't have to quarantine my first 7 days in Nigeria.... So, since tickets were still available and there are no longer ticket change fees, I decided to depart a few days later.  
 
-International travel can now require a lot of Covid19 testing, one pre-trip test was needed to get permission to enter Nigeria. On day two in Nigeria I got tested again, and then one more test will be needed to get back in the USA. Those three covid19 tests are required. Then there's another post trip recommended test. 
 
-Masking for 24 hours straight (in all airports and on all planes) worried me a bit because of the pain of pulling on my ears... so I went on YouTube to learn the tricks of using a large paperclip or sewing large buttons on a piece of elastic or on a ball cap. I brought all three methods but only used the ball cap with buttons to good effect.  

-My traveling companions received visa approval letters only three days before their flight... This wasn't a pandemic effect, just a fact of life that adds to the uncertainties of travel planning.
 
-Covid19 testing in Nigeria went off without a hitch even though there was conflicting information on my appointment... whether it was on day 2 or day 7, but since I showed up in person for the test on day 2, the lab made a phone call and sorted it out within just a few minutes and poof, less than 12 hours later and $132.89 pre-paid, I am still Negative and clear to have meetings.

Let's talk about the small graces of travel. Not only did I get premium economy when I changed my dates to fly later and my first flight from USA to Europe was quite empty maybe quarter to half full. When I got to the gate there was like no passengers at the gate except for one employee and she let me go ahead and board (no, I wasn't late boarding either). At the next airport gate to fly to Nigeria there are probably 200 people at this gate and I was just standing around waiting for boarding time... I was watching a line of people get longer and longer for document check at least I thought it was a document check but the sign said first class + business class so I just held my position and then I saw an employee at another kiosk not far from there just starting to set up and I decided to walk over to investigate and poof I became the first person in line of economy class to get the document check so I didn't have to wait in what soon became a very long line... I am thankful for this small grace. I still had a row of three seats to myself on my second flight even though the plane was about 95% full. 

Upon arrival in Nigeria, I had no trouble navigating the covid19 paperwork checks which have replaced the also important Yellow Fever vaccine requirement. And surprisingly there is no longer a temperature check. Immigration went smoothly, my luggage all arrived and my friends and Ghanaian Discovery alumni Naaza & Hannah were at the airport to welcome me and drive me to our guest house. 
 
While traveling, there were times of few people and distancing was practiced... but when an airplane landed and people were forced to crowd into a bus to get to the terminal... hm, there was no consistent  practice.

Upon arrival in the Nigerian airport, I notice a distinct change of masking culture from that I saw in the USA and the European airports I traveled through. The Nigerian airport has all the Covid19 signs, but the practice is just different. 
 

I see these Mask Required signs, but as I go around, there are very few mask wearing people inside these gates.
 
Truly it is nice to travel again, it is all a grace and joy despite the added bureaucracy, caution and added stresses involved.  Travel puts us in the path of people... people who are made in the image of God and we are transformed as we open ourselves to this image.
 
What is your experience now-a-days whether traveling or just going out of your home? What changes are you seeing and experiencing?  
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts